In the business of helping companies grow, leaders lead and people live more fulfilling lives, an industry has grown up around risk taking. Personal development seminars, sometimes under exotic names such as Riskology, sell the idea that daring risk taking is something that is always desirable. Take for example, these gems of wisdom:
“And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”
“Living at risk is jumping off the cliff and building your wings on the way down.”
“If things seem under control, you are just not going fast enough.”
But how about this one?
“Almost 1.2 million people die each year due to vehicle accidents caused by distracted driving”
—Ford Motors study
While it may seem a mood killer at a personal development seminar, most fleet managers agree that reducing risk—not increasing it—is serious business. While they are as interested as anyone in growing their business (i.e., taking certain kinds of risks), there are other kinds of risk to avoid, because their avoidance is critical to their successful operations. It’s called risk reduction.
“There are so many unknown losses from accidents. The cost itself can be really bad. Trucks are down, customers are upset, and it is an amplification of a problem.”
—Kevin Bookey, National Foods, Transportation Manager
At Webtech Wireless, we have over a decade of experience helping customers successfully mitigate risk using our GPS/AVL fleet tracking solutions:
- In the event of an accident claim against a company vehicle, GPS/AVL reporting data can prove the real location of the vehicle at the time of the accident. Our customer, Steve Troyer of Troyer Ventures, credited the Webtech Wireless Quadrant In-Cab MDT (mobile data terminal) with getting his drivers off cell phones while driving, “Texting dispatch instructions directly to the MDT pad in the truck eliminates misunderstandings, provides safer and more efficient journey management, and also provides documented records of instructions given”.
- As someone responsible for mobile workers, you are at risk whenever they work alone—especially in the hazardous environments common to the oil and gas sector. Without real-time visibility into these workers and how they’re driving, you risk your credibility, your company’s safety reputation, and of course the worker’s wellbeing.
- Managing a large fleet of vehicles and drivers is risky and insurers know that. They also know that using telematics to track your fleet reduces your accident rate and they will reward you by reducing your insurance costs—GPS/AVL solutions can help you negotiate a reduction in your insurance premiums, and with proof of reductions in your accident rate, you can use that data to reduce your premiums further.
Want to Reduce Your Risk?
For fleet managers, choosing a telematics solution is a proven way to reduce that risk, because it gives them visibility into the fleet. With that visibility comes knowledge and with knowledge comes the capacity to make informed decisions about their business.
Remember On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:00 am to 12:00 pm PST (2:00 to 3:00 pm EST), we are offering a free webinar called “Reducing Business Risk with a GPS/AVL Fleet Management Solution” aimed at reducing risk for your fleet by implementing a GPS/AVL fleet management solution.
- Identify risks in fleet management
- Learn how to reduce risk for your drivers
- Protect your brand reputation
- Lower operating cost
Enjoy the peace of mind of knowing your operations are running safely.